Thursday, January 8, 2009

Progress

Photobucket

This is Nighthawks by Edward Hopper. It is one of my favorite paintings. I like it so much that it is going to be my next tattoo. Hopper began the painting right after Pearl Harbor. It represents the alienation and loneliness in modern urban America. The diner was based on a actual diner that stood a few blocks from Hopper's Greenwich Village apartment. It stood at the southwest corner of Greenwich Avenue and Seventh Avenue South. it has since been demolished. It is called Murly Square and now just a triangular parking lot remains. A few tiles of the original diner are all that is left. This is what Murly Square looks like today...

Photobucket

Now the MTA (The organization that runs all of NYC's public transportation) is planning on building an emergency ventilation plant there. I ask.. Is this progress??? Before that happens I want a tile from the diner..

No comments: