Tuesday, December 16, 2008

last night

Photobucket

This is the inside of the restaurant I went to last night with my sis. It was our annual big Christmas dinner. It was a little Italian place called AMA in NYC where SOHO meets the West Village. The meal was delicious and the conversation was flowing like the wine, but the best part was before dinner. I was outside waiting for my family when an older African American fellow strolled up to me and asked "Do you like jazz?" "How could he tell?" I thought. must've been the fedora-esque hat I was wearing. "Sure" I replied. He went on for about 20 mins about how Art Blakely taught him how to play the drums when he arrived in New York back in the 40's..

Photobucket

He gave me a cd of his band before complaining about how the current jazz clubs in the city suck. That's one of the amazing things about this city. You never know what stories the people here can share. Like the old lady who sells used books on the corner of 19th st and 7th ave. She saw me looking at her books carefully. "I can tell you really love books by the way you treat them when you are looking at them" She went on to recall how she used to hang out with Anais Nin back in the day.

Photobucket

Unfortunately, she never got to meet Henry Miller.

No comments: