Monday, June 29, 2009

Michael




Michael Jackson. Truth be told I didn't have much emotional attachment to his music. As a child of the 80s it was an ubiquitous presence in my cultural growth it just never resonated with me to the degree that I wanted the jacket or watched the videos. It was only later in life.. probably 2003, that I grew to appreciate his music. I think it was through a worn vinyl copy of "Off the Wall" that I found at the Berlin Farmer's Market in southern New Jersey. In the end the true tragedy of his passing is that was unnecessary. He was a man that could not handle fame and he surrounded himself with people that would not say no. he never grew up. He never learned how to live in the world that adored him and the consequences were speculations of deviant behavior and a man as misunderstood by himself as he was by his fans. Obviously, as noted by the attached videos, Jackson's legacy was felt all over and for that he deserves our respect. RIP King of Pop.

No comments: